Sunday, March 24, 2013

US Army Reserves


I was in the US Army Reserves for 10 years from 1998-2008.  I am an Operation Iraqi Freedom (OIF) veteran.  I was deployed to Iraq from 2005-2006.  I got out shortly after returning from Iraq because I wanted to focus on my civilian career.  I went back to school and received my BS in Nursing.  After I graduated, I was interested in going back into the military as a nurse, but I was told that I had gained too much weight and I do not meet the requirements to join.  Mind you, when I joined initially I was overweight to the point where my recruiter had to have me lose weight before my physical.  And, throughout almost the entire time I was in the reserves I was over the required weight.  I was on the Army's weight control program for almost the entire time I was in the military.  Being overweight did not hinder them from deploying me and many other people to Iraq.  I have tried all kinds of weight loss programs.  Nothing worked for me and I became hypertensive after gaining the weight.  I considered weight loss surgery because I felt that it was the only way for me to achieve permanent weight loss and get back to a healthy weight and a healthy life style.   

No comments:

Post a Comment