Thursday, August 28, 2014

Don't even bother...Weight Loss Surgery is "an unwaiverable medical procedure"

I regret to inform everyone that you cannot join the military if you have had weight loss surgery.

I asked an Army and a Navy recruiter about it and they both told me straight out "NO!"  I found an Air Force Recruiter who was willing to take on my case and took me through the entire application process. I filled out all the documents, sent in all the required paper work, college transcripts, recommendation letters, CV,  questionnaires, essay and medical records regarding the weight loss surgery.  Everything was ok except that the MEPS did not approve me for medical because of the weight loss surgery.  So my recruiter sent my medical records to the surgeon general to request a waiver and their response was the same...it was not approved because weight loss surgery is an "unwaiverable medical procedure."

I feel like my dreams have been shot to pieces. I hope some day the military realizes that most of us are in tip top shape since having this procedure done.  I know I am. I've never felt better, looked better, and been in better physical shape in my life since I had WLS.  I'm in better shape now than I was when I was in the Army.

They lost out on having a true patriot serve their country AGAIN.

If anyone else has tried and got in please tell me your secret.

14 comments:

  1. Weight loss surgery helps people with extreme obesity to lose weight.

    shweta

    ReplyDelete
  2. i have created a petition on change.org for the president to let WLS patients join the military

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great! Send me the link. You can also post the link to my blog if you like. I will definitely sign...however, unfortunately I think I'm too old now to join but whatever I have to do to preserve the future for others who are interested I'll do. Thanks for stopping by and sharing this information.

      Delete
  3. When you get weight loss surgery, your surgeon makes changes to your stomach or small intestine, or both.Please tell me that cost of this procedure and recovery time.

    Ashmita

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure of the cost of the procedure as mine was completely covered by my insurance. Obesity is considered a disease so medical treatment for it may be covered by your insurance if you meet certain requirements. At the time when I had my surgery done the qualification requirements were:

      1. BMI of 40 or more
      2. Overweight by 100lbs or more
      3. BMI of I think 35 or greater with at least one comorbidity...meaning having an additional disease that's related to obesity such as diabetes, high blood pressure or sleep apnea.
      4. Prove that you've tried unsuccessfully to lose weight with diet and exercise

      Different insurances may differ in requirements. I qualified because I had a BMI of 35 and had high blood pressure.

      Check out this link:

      https://asmbs.org/patients/who-is-a-candidate-for-bariatric-surgery

      Delete
    2. Does anyone have any updated information? The policy recently changed and bariatric surgery is a pdq but waiverable by the surgeon general. Has anyone actually got a waiver for this? I am waiting on mine now but it takes forever for a decision?

      Delete
    3. I don't have any updated information. I'll do some online research and see if anything credible pops up. If so I will post to the blog. I'm gonna be 38 this year so I don't think I meet the age requirements any more. However I will definitely post whatever information I find to help others. Good luck with your waiver request. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

      Delete
  4. This is something I've been trying to get a waiver for to no avail. It's frustrating because I've always wanted to serve my country but obesity kept me from it till now and I can't now because it's a pdq

    ReplyDelete
  5. Any updates? I am currently preparing to go speak with a recruiter. I recently had my surgery 13March2018. I'm hoping to join the Airforce.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you get accepted in the air force ashley

      Delete
    2. Hey, actually I was making great progress, my profile was sent off to MEPS and they responded back wanting to know more about my endometriosis instead of my WLS. My recruiter was shocked I had made it that far in the recruiting process. Heck, I was shocked! But unfortunately, I have put joining on hold because I'm having major issues with my Endometriosis.

      Delete
  6. i was just browsing along and came upon your blog. just wanted to say good blog and this article really helped me. kur zum abnehmen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for another great article. Where else could anyone get that kind of information in such a perfect way of writing? I have a presentation next week, and I am on the look for such information. free trials weight loss pills

    ReplyDelete
  8. Any updates? If you got approved

    ReplyDelete